Here is some information which might be helpful, during your tour on Socotra. If you have further questions, feel free to contact us, please.
Make sure you respect local people and customs. They will reward you by staying kind and welcoming. Pay special attention to issues described below:
- Please respect the local culture, and be aware that it is illegal to remove any plant material from Socotra, including seeds.
- Make sure you collect the rubbish, please.
- Since Socotra is a Muslim and Conservative Island so you should consider carefully what clothes you wear there. Long sleeves and trousers are highly recommended – they will also protect you against sunburn. Shorts for men are not appropriate, they are perceived as underpants. Women should wear loose blouses covering their buttocks. Headscarf will be appreciated.
- No alcohol is allowed on the island
- Don’t ever; ever try to take pictures of women, even if you’re a woman yourself. This is considered a great offense and can even result in more than a few harsh words.
- When selecting a campsite, do not choose a spot beside the local water source. Your presence is likely to make the women and girls whose job it is to fetch water feel nervous.
- Do not wash clothes or yourselves unless you are invited to do so, Remember that any water source is likely to be the main source of drinking water for neighboring village
Make sure you bring Batteries, memory cards, or films for your camera, comfortable walking shoes and torch (flashlight), prescription medicine, sunscreen lotion, Personal toiletries, Enough cash since no ATM is available on the island. You can easily exchange dollars and euros in local bank branches in Hadibu
Then you can be happy! Don’t worry